Friday, February 12, 2010

Welcome to the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games

The Opening Ceremonies begin tonight with my not so bold prediction of Wayne Gretzky carrying the legendary Olympic torch and lighting the flame, or maybe he's carrying the flame to light the torch, I'm a bit rusty on the lingo since we only get the Games every 2 years. Fire is definitely involved and it's really a great moment or whatever. I'm just guessing The Great One will carry the fire because hey, when I think Canada, I think Wayne Gretzky, well him and the freak shows that partook in the debauchery that are lost somewhere in my memory bank from my college years in North Dakota, which is in Canada.

-- As I write this I have just discovered this: WHISTLER (AP) -- A men's Olympic luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia crashed during training and has died from the injuries, according to reports.

The Toronto Sun and The Vancouver Sun both reported his death. It continues to say that he lost control of his sled near the Finish line after getting up to roughly 90 mph and struck an unpadded steel pole. This coming after numerous athletes had made statement regarding their fear for safetly due to the track being the fastest trach they had ever seen.

Nodar Kumaritashvili prepares at the start during training at the Whistler Slider Centre on Friday.
Nodar Kumaritashvili prepares at the start during training at the Whistler Slider Centre on Friday.

Much more to come... just warming up.

Nodar Kumaritashvili
Peter Parks/AFP/Getty ImagesNodar Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled Friday, went over a track wall and struck a steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

No comments: